When it comes to coating for concrete floors, the possibilities are many however not always reliable and durable. Epoxy, floor tiles, concrete resurfacer, floor sealer, floor patching, polyaspartic floor coating are many materials typically used to cover concrete with the last one being ranked as the best option so far. Applying coating over concrete adds floor protection, look improvement and provides maximum surface grip performance.
In this blog, we’ll examine some of the most popular protective coatings for concrete floors we offer at River Concrete Coating, a division of River Stonework and provide an overview of some of their benefits, drawbacks, and typical uses.
Our Type of Concrete Coating
Polyurea and Polyaspartic Coating Technology
Polyurea and Polyaspartic coating system is an excellent choice for many industrial and commercial applications, as it offers superior abrasion and chemical resistance. It possesses high tensile strength and can go from liquid to solid quickly. This means that it could be applied in a single day, even at temperatures close to freezing, allowing concrete floors to be restored to full use in no time.
Polyaspartics are more versatile and hardy, while polyurea’s curing time is faster yet still as long-lasting. However, their setup necessitates the help of an expert due to its complexity.
Let’s dive deeper into the benefits that this type of coating offers to concrete surfaces:
- Durability: They are strong and durable. It can last up to 10 times longer than Epoxy and this makes them the perfect choice for high-traffic areas where long-lasting protection is a must since it will not chip or peel.
- Low Maintenance: This material is easy to clean and doesn’t get stained easily. Also, it keeps its color over the years without fading or discoloring.
- Fast-Curing: With this type of concrete coating, you don’t need to wait too long for the material to be ready and dry, as it cures in just a few hours.
- Aesthetically Pleasing: Say goodbye to chips and scrapes! With a variety of finishes and flakes, you can get the exact look that best suits your taste.
Our coating system at River Concrete Coating consists of a 6-step process:
- Preparation: Grind up the concrete floor using a diamond-bland grinder.
- Concrete Reconstruction: Apply concrete mender to cover cracks and level the surface.
- Basecoat: Apply polyurea basecoat (10x stronger than epoxy)
- Vinyl Chips: Spread small vinyl chips to provide unique texture and color.
- Remove Excess: Scrape away loose chips.
- Topcoat: Apply polyaspartic topcoat to keep floor from yellowing from the sun.
What is Epoxy Coating?
Epoxy used to be one of the most common concrete coatings in the country. An epoxy coating consists of two diferent components: epoxy resin and polyamine hardener. The mix of both elements facilitates a chemical reaction that creates the epoxy concrete coating.
Epoxy coating is known for their attractive, high-gloss finish and cost-efficiency when it comes to installation. It would last approximately 3-5 years.
Polyurea and Polyaspartic vs. Epoxy Coating
When choosing between polyurea and polyaspartic coating or epoxy coating, there are a few key factors to consider. The first one is UV resistant and will not stain while epoxy could easily wear and stain due to UV heat. Although Epoxy is low cost compared to polyaspartic, its durability is of maximum 5 years while the polyurea and polyaspartic system could last a lifetime.
In the long term, epoxy is likely to crack, flake and peel away – whereas polyurea and polyaspartic have elasticity that allows them to expand or contract with a concrete surface. As a result of this flexibility, they will never chip, crack or peel off.
Expert Stonework and Home Improvement
When choosing the best concrete coating for your project, it is important to consider the different types of products available and their benefits.
At River Stonework, we are dedicated to providing North Florida with the highest quality outdoor living solutions. Our Jacksonville-based business has everything you need – from modern designs, and premium paver work to unbeatable customer service at competitive prices, and now counts with a reliable team of concrete coating technology experts in its new division named River Concrete Coating. Get in touch today to experience our services for yourself!